On 8/17/05, Jim Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> All of the implementations are just old (and, because they don't take
> advantage of any of the modern capabilities, slower than you'd expect) - but
> most still work fine.
>
> There's also a minor issue (depending on how you feel about standards) that
> the WDDX standard is incompatible with XSD (you can't generate an XSD to
> describe WDDX).
>
> But the long and short of it is: it still works.

I did some tests with a web service (CFC with some methods with remote
access)  and an AJAX interface, it works great.

I can invoke the CFC remotely in two ways:

- Regular POST/GET request, the method will return the result in WDDX
format. (less data, should be faster)
- SOAP request, the moth will return the result in SOAP format. (more
data, should be slower)

Also, I can invoke the same CFC locally from CFML code (cfinvoke), it
works fine too.

So far I didn't hit any issue with the WDDX format and the AJAX
interface: the JS library works just fine in Firefox, Internet
Explorer and Safari.

This way I still have a SOAP interface (I could use a Flash client to
connect to it in the future, or even Lazlo) and a local interface (I
will use CFML code for regular forms, for browser with JS disabled or
that don't support the AJAX interface) without duplication of code!

That looks great to me, am I missing something? :-)

I need to add some security, especially when the CFC methods are
called remotely.
BTW, I didn't find a good way to tell if a CFC method is invoked
locally or remotely, any idea?

Thanks.