Found the problem!

In "Extensions > CFX Tags" of ColdFusion Administrator the Tag Name must be
without the .dll extension, ie just "cfx_image_mx"

also:

In the "Server Library (.dll)" box the complete directory and the tag name with
.dll extension must be used as:
"C:\CFusionMX7\wwwroot\CFIDE\CustomTags\cfx_image_mx.dll"

I made the mistake of using the .dll extension in the tag name box PLUS I
thought server library referred to the directory so I omitted the tag name as
well...

I'd like to mention 2 web sites I found helpful:

1.)http://store.newmediadevelopment.net/registertags.cfm - good
images/descriptions
2.)http://www.emerle.net/programming/help/installing_cfx.cfm - which among many
   things describes how to restart CF.