CGI variables are kind of quirky.  Some are available all the time,
but the rest are only defined when they're asked for.  When you ask
for a CGI variable, CF will return it if it knows the answer,
otherwise it will pass the request off to the web server, and return
whatever it says.  Did you try dumping CGI after you'd manually
referenced #cgi.systemroot#?

This can be the source of a lot of errors in the logs, because CF
keeps processing a request until it finished or times out, but web
servers are smart enough to kill of the request if the browser stops
waiting for it.  So if CF requests a CGI from the web server on a
request that has been aborted, an error is logged, and CF proceeds
with the empty string for the value.

cheers,
barneyb

--