> Check your docs under the cffunction tab to see what the output attribute
> actually does.  I think you may have it confused with what <cfreturn>
> does.
>
> Here's a quote from <cffunction> docs page for output attribute:
>
> Specifies under which conditions the function can generate HTML output.
>
> yes: The entire function body is processed as if it were within a cfoutput
> tag. Variables names surrounded by number signs (#) are automatically
> replaced with their values.
> no: The function is processed as if it were within a cfsilent tag
> If you do not specify this attribute, the function body is processed as
> standard CFML. Any variables must be in cfoutput tags.
>
> Dave

Thanks Dave...but no I'm not confused (output is set to false because
webservices don't return HTML) ;-)

I want to know:
1) If CF does convert the data returned via CFRETURN by a web service to XML
2) If it does convert the data to XML...what should the returntype be for
that method

Currently when I have output="no" and returntype="query"I get this error
(which I think is an XML related error):

Here is the fault returned when invoking the web service operation:<br>
<pre>AxisFault faultCode:
faultSubcode: faultString: org.xml.sax.SAXException: Bad types (class
coldfusion.xml.rpc.QueryBean -&gt; class java.lang.String) faultActor:
faultNode: faultDetail:
{http://xml.apache.org/axis/}stackTrace:org.xml.sax.SAXException: Bad types
(class coldfusion.xml.rpc.QueryBean -&gt; class java.lang.String) at
org.apache.axis.message.RPCHandler.onStartChild(RPCHandler.java:279) at
org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializationContext.startElement(DeserializationContext.java:1035)

at
org.apache.axis.message.SAX2EventRecorder.replay(SAX2EventRecorder.java:165)
at
org.apache.axis.message.MessageElement.publishToHandler(MessageElement.java:1140)

at org.apache.axis.message.RPCElement.deserialize(RPCElement.java:238) at
org.apache.axis.message.RPCElement.getParams(RPCElement.java:386) at
org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2409) at
org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2308) at org.apache...

Bryan Stevenson B.Comm.
VP & Director of E-Commerce Development
Electric Edge Systems Group Inc.