>Folks,
>
>I'm working on a project that involves some stress/load testing work and am
>curious about people's experience with different tools. For the record, I've
>been "certified" in Empirix eTest Suite (which is what they call it when you
>get the training from them) and familiar with using it to test web sites,
>but the $30k+ licenses aren't really something I'm interested in. I've also
>looked at less expensive choices like Paessler's WebStress and Microsoft's
>free stress tool but am still looking for an open source solution.
>
>So some obvious choices are:
>
>PushToTest TestMaker
>Apache JMeter
>DieselTest
>OpenSTA
>
>Any specific experience (positive or negative) that anyone could share would
>be great. I'm leaning towards TestMaker right now, but right now I'm at the
>"downloaded a bunch of options after reading through docs" stage.
>
>For the record, we'll be looking at loads in the 1500-3000 concurrent user
>range with peaks towards 5,000. And I'm amenable to running the software on
>Linux or Windows. And the bulk of the testing will be the web application
>server (i.e. not the mail or database servers directly).
>

>--
>John Paul Ashenfelter
>CTO/Transitionpoint
>(blog) http://www.ashenfelter.com
>(email) [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi John,

I've been using the Apache-Jakarta Project's JMeter for the past while. Its
very easy to set up and run. One big advantage is that it can be run in server
configuration, with machine runnign Jmeter is serving the test scripts to
multiple other machines, also running Jmeter. It allows you to "spread the
load" so to speak. Along with some fairly sophisticated conditional
programming, you can run some very robust tests that mimic user behavior very
well.

regards,

larry
--