I hope this is a basic question.

Let's say I have a CFC that does all of my email-related functions.
One of those methods (for example, insertEmail) needs to call another
method (for example, checkEmail) that is part of the same CFC.  For
instance:

CFCOMPONENT
CFFUNCTION NAME = CHECKEMAIL
(email address gets passed in as an argument, used to query the
database and see if the email address is (a) of valid format (OK, the
database isn't required for this) and (b) already exists in the
database)
CFRETURN SOME SORT OF INDICATOR OR MESSAGE
/CFFUNCTION

CFFUNCTION NAME = INSERTEMAIL
email address gets passed in as an argument.  FIRST I want to call the
CHECKEMAIL method, then use the value that is returned to either (a)
insert the record into the database, or (b) not insert the record into
the database.
CFRETURN SOME SORT OF MESSAGE
/CFFUNCTION
/CFCOMPONENT