> This is what I have indeed for ODBC connections, but for
> JDBC, the docs say I must pick "Other",
> then I must enter a "JDBC URL" line like:
> jdbc:pointbase:compasstravel,database.home=C:/inetsrv/wwwroot/
> cfdocs/getting_started/db
> No browser to a file. I suspect this is proper to CFMX 6 and
> that it has been inproved in version 7?

When you pick "Other", you are choosing to use something that CF doesn't
know about "natively" such as Pointbase. All of the selections, including
"Other", use JDBC because CFMX (being a Java application) can only use JDBC.
When you choose "Microsoft Access" or "ODBC Socket", you are using
SequeLink, which is a JDBC-to-ODBC bridge.

The interface for "Other" looks the same in CFMX 6 and 7, because there
simply isn't too much to it - you enter a JDBC URL and a driver class name.
Different JDBC drivers have their own JDBC URL syntax elements, so there's
no way CF could give you an interface to let you "browse to a file" - some
JDBC drivers (like Pointbase) use database files, while others (like jTDS,
jTurbo or Microsoft's own JDBC driver just to name three that are all used
with MS SQL Server) are clients that talk to database servers.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/