> Well I say shame on them then. Any competant admin will take
> the time to look into the issues that come with allowing certain
> applications/protocols/etc...to run.

That's the thing, though - from a typical network administrator's viewpoint,
RDS isn't an application or a protocol. It's not listening on any port. I'm
not saying that administrators shouldn't block RDS, but it's not nearly as
noticeable as running a listener. In large network environments,
administrators often don't know the ramifications of every server software
package they manage.

> I have never worked in a place that has allowed it. Our admins
> have never complained about the FTP configs, then again all the
> server admins and network guys are pretty seasoned.

Many seasoned network guys hate to run FTP, because it typically involves
allowing bad things. Here's a simple description of FTP problems and
solutions:

http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

But again, RDS is just plain old HTTP, and comparatively easy to manage. If
I had to pick one or the other, I'd choose RDS in many cases.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/