Ah, I see your site....that explains it.. ;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Davis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 07 September 2005 02:18
To: CF-Talk
Subject: ANN: Introducing YODEL

YODEL (Yet another Open Data Exchange Language) is an XML dialect designed
to represent structured data.  I've finished (what I consider to be drafts
of) the specification and an initial FAQ and posted them here:

http://www.depressedpress.com/depressedpress/Content/Development/YODEL/Index
..cfm

Before you ask the FAQ has my explanation for why I decided to do this
rather than use on of the other, existing options.  ;^)

Right now there are no posted implementations: I'm nearly completed with the
JavaScript implementation (I've got some more testing, but all of the grunt
work is done) for both serialization and deserialization.  I hope to release
this within the next day or two.

Then this weekend will be the CF version (probably CFMX or higher only...
but I'm not sure).

The reason I post the spec before the implementations are done are first to
get any feedback on the spec before I work on the code.

I'm open to all suggestions and criticism on the subject.

Secondly I want to allow anybody that might be interested in doing an
implementation to begin working.

This would, of course, be VERY welcome.  It's not a hugely difficult task
(the JavaScript version was perhaps six-eight hours of coding an huge amount
of that was figuring out the date and string parsing).

I would truly love to see implementations for all other popular platforms
(Java, .NET, PHP, ActionScript, PERL, etc) as well as alternative (and
perhaps better) CFML and JavaScript versions.

So, if you know another language and want a moderate challenge please
consider it!

I plan to work up a test suite of packets soon to assist with this.  But if
you're interested in doing an implementation please feel free to write me
with any questions you may have.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Davis