Within an application?  This sounds odd... why not just pass objects?

In my option XML is really only a good option where you're forced into a
text-only mechanism (like HTTP).  Other than that keeping things native is
nearly always the way to go.

> 1.    Is there a better list to post this to?

Probably. ;^)

> 2.    XSD's don't seem to provide much benefit in a stand-alone
> application besides helping create test data via tools like xmlSpy.  I
> don't
> even see how in ColdFusion you can validate an XML using an associated
> XSD.
> And it doesn't look like XSL documents are based off of an XSD, so you
> still
> have to validate if field lengths, etc using code.  Am I missing something
> here?

Nope... XSDs are far from a panacea... they check structure and dialect.
Dat's it.

CF 7 can validate an XSD and previous versions can do with outside help (COM
or Java).

> 3.    Lastly, since the XSL doesn't use data off of the XSD, it appears to
> be just a different, not necessarily better, mechanism for displaying
> data.

Well - for formatting and displaying data.  That's it, nothing more.

> I am not sure of the value for me to learn this at this point in time and
> see no value in converting screens from CF/HTML to XSL/HTML.  Again, am I
> missing something here?  What type of situations cry out for XSL vs.
> CF/HTML?

The interesting promise of XSL is to send plain XML data to the browser and
have the XSL applied there - you send plain data and you get pretty pages.:
a complete separation of data and presentation.

The plain data is SO VERY MUCH easier for automated systems to deal with
(the promise of the semantic web) and the pretty pages are only of use to
humans so why not have them generated in the browser?

Of course it hasn't really worked out that way (yet?)

Personally I don't see much value for XSL on the server-side for the exact
reasons already mentioned: 1) Why pass XML within an application in the
first place?  And 2) why not just format it in the old fashioned way?

Jim Davis