Inconsistencies between browsers (IE, Firefox, etc.) does present minor
issues on occasion, not just in basic terms (like slight differences to
the DOM style references), but also in broader issues (like how each
browser is affected by the use of a particular DTD). When IE7 is finally
released hopefully some of this will be relieved (if they can convince
everyone to upgrade [yeah, right...]).

All of that being said though, it's worth the tradeoff. I've been slowly
implementing styles in my work for the last few years. I've even totally
rewritten 3rd party code to make it HTML 4/XHTML compliant with styles
(and later stylesheets) so that they were easier to change/maintain.
It's nice to change one line of CSS to change the appearance of an item
across an entire site (like changing the font-type, or the font-size, or
the background color). Sure, sometimes there are issues (especially with
the box model), but generally a little time of tweaking/testing will
work it out, with an occasional trip to Google or the W3CSchool.

I generally start with a layout that works with Firefox (my browser of
choice) and then look at it within IE to see what needs to be
changed/adjusted. I pre-plan my layout prior to coding, which helps me
develop with an eye for encapsulating pods of content and pre-defining
default and block level styles. Since the view layer is usually the last
area of code I work on it typically doesn't take much of my time. Since
code/dev is only about 10% of my current work week then that is time
well spent (I can't wait to get back to core dev. Now, where was that
resume?...)

Minor things will drive you nuts, but typically only you will notice.
It's worth the initial effort.

Cutter