Since you can reproduce the problem on different servers and vers it sounds
very much like you have something funky in the code. If CF detects an error
in your error handler it will default to raw handling.
 I've never thought to try it before, but maybe you can wrap your error
handler in the code below to make it try/catch (i.e. an error handler for
the error handler). I don't have a clue if that would work in that context.
 Mary Jo brought up the cferror issue and that reminds me: I use a
single-domain version of the error handler in the cferror statement. Then
the s/w handler is just a backup. May be overkill if portability isn't your
thing and you just want your hosted stuff to work right on your own server.
 An abbreviated version of the dump template is below. You can actually
install this for temp debugging and it will toss data out to screen
(although it scrubs any value for "form.password"... something you may want
to look into for apps supplying stuff like that and ''form.creditcardnumber''.
You don't want your error dumps handing out stuff like that no matter how
you store them.
 -----your error template-----
<cftry>
<cfset pop goes the weasel = "DOH!">
 -----errcatch.cfm-----
<cfsavecontent variable="variables.dataDump">
<cfinclude template="dumpmonger.cfm">
</cfsavecontent>
<cfoutput>#variables.datadump#</cfoutput>
  -----dumpmonger.cfm------
<cflock scope="SERVER" type="READONLY" timeout="10">
<cfset variables.CFVer=Left(server.coldfusion.ProductVersion,1)>
</cflock>
<cfloop
list="CFCATCH,ERROR,APPLICATION,ATTRIBUTES,CALLER,CGI,CLIENT,FORM,REQUEST,SESSION,SERVER,THIS,THISTAG,URL,VARIABLES"
index="loopItem">
<cfif IsDefined("#loopItem#")>
<cfif variables.CFVer lt 6>
<cfdump var="#Evaluate(loopItem)#">
<cfelse>
<cfdump var="#Evaluate(loopItem)#" label="#loopItem#">
</cfif>
</cfif>
</cfloop>
 --