Barney is definately right about the db is going to be more resource
intensive than writing to a file.  To me it would come down to how
much data you are going to be logging and for how long.  Basically,
are you going to just be glancing at a log file every once in a while
and scrolling through it, or are you going to need the ability to
query it.  Is it informational only, or is it auditing processes.  Is
it importaint to the project or is it just helpful?