While that doesn't explicitly delay user requests, it does contribute
to load on the server (both CF and DB), so it will have some effect on
overall system performance.  I suspect that synchronous log4j calls
would still be faster to the user, as well as greatly reducing the
logging overhead, but async processing is a good compromise for
getting DB-based logging with a minimum of user effect.

Another route (not always possible) is to do all your logging in
OnRequestEnd (build a queue through the request, and then actually log
it there), because you can use CFFLUSH before you run it, so the user
should get back their whole page before the logging happens.
Certianly not an ideal scenario, but if your logging is expensive,
it's a cheap way to reduce the effects.

cheers,
barneyb

--