It would be completely silly NOT to get a merchant account and do the
transactions online in real time. I can't think of an argument in favor
of processing transactions in the way you describe that makes any sense.
However, I'm not aware of any *law* against storing credit card
information. Depending on your client's banking situation, they may be
violating their contract if they do it, but it isn't illegal. They will,
however, be subject to a tremendous amount of liability if the data is
ever compromised. Also, as the developer and a party with specialized
knowledge, you could be included personally in any liability suit. I
know of one case in the US where this happened and the consultant
narrowly escaped being held partially liable for the damage; he still
had quite a lot of expenses involved in his defense though. At least
limit your liability by documenting your strong objections to storing
sensitive financial data -- this kind of documentation was the only
reason my friend was NOT held liable in court.

--Ferg