From: George Abraham [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 01 October 2005 14:25
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: SQL Server 2000 Full-text search issues

Hi,
Full-text search on SQL Server 2K gave me huge problems. Not only was the
code to conduct a full-text search cumbersome, but the user had to learn how
to define searches in ways that were not really fair to the user. That is
why I decided to turn to another appliance for full-text search structured
databases. At first I tried using the Verity search already packaged with
CFMX. However I soon ran into scaling issues in terms of the number of
records that Verity will store. Since one of my dbs stores more than 100K
records, that alone would take up the limits of Verity's licence. Buying an
unlimited (or whatever) licence for Verity was a bazillion dollars. Similar
problems with buying a Google search appliance. We decided to go with Lucene
from the Jakarta project which is a simply beautiful product. And it is
free. Of course you have to learn Java, but the Lucene email lists are
extremely helpful. Besides Aaron Johnson has some code over at (
http://cephas.net/blog/2003/12/06/indexing_database_content_with_lucene_cold
fusion.html)
that even talks about CF and Lucene.

I know this doesn't solve your current problem, but I ran into issues with
SQL server like you did and some of them were having our customers (and I,
to some extent) tear their hair out.

If you need some help with CF and Lucene, I can list some resources or email
me offlist.

George