Yes, you can populate a PDF with variables. What you need to do is go
into the PDF (will need full Acrobat version) and create the form,
name the fields, etc if you haven't done already. Then you will need
to export the form data (FDF). Taking the format of the FDF file, you
use ColdFusion (CFFILE) to write a new FDF with populated variables in
it and then "merge" the FDF file and the actual PDF file.

I haven't this in a while, so I really don't remember many details,
but the principle is the same. Maybe search for CFFILE, FDF would
help.

Dimo