----- Original Message -----
From: "John Dowdell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Talk" <cf-talk@houseoffusion.com>
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 6:22 PM
Subject: Re: OT: Disabling Flash Links

> Jim McAtee wrote:
>> Is
>> there any way to place a Flash movie on a web page and replace or
>> disable
>> all embedded links, so that we can force the link to go through our
>> click.cfm script and record the click-through?
>
> It might be easier to talk with the client, have them grab their
> button's links from parameters in the HTML you supply. (If you check the
> markup of banner ads then the target URL is usually either in PARAMs or
> as query terms to the calling URL, both of which can be accessed by the
> SWF.)
>
> One way to actually break clicks in any SWF is to put something atop it,
> but then you get into browser differences... which browsers will draw
> their markup instructions atop plugin content, which ones let clicks go
> through, and so on.
>
> Another tack to break the SWF's created functionality is to host it
> within your own SWF, which has something atop that. But the original
> creator might have broken your plan to break his plan, there's always
> something wacky possible with so many potential authors.
>
> Easiest might be to tell the client that this SWF they're creating for
> use on your site should have its URLs specified in the calling markup,
> rather than locked into the SWF. That might take some negotiation,
> though.

Exactly.

But the creative often isn't developed for use on only our site.  It might
also appear on their own web site, and often runs on other sites where
they advertise.  We usually get it after it's been created for all of the
above.  I imagine they run into the same problem of not being able to
track clicks on the other advertising sites, unless those sites have found
a way around the same issue.

The second problem is that because of the way our ad server works, we'd
have to create the ad campaign first, and _then_ give the advertiser the
HTML afterwards, since the click link needs to reference a record ID that
gets created when the campaign is created.  Which is bass ackwards of how
we usually book advertising.  I usually don't know when an ad will be
submitted, so we end up going roundy-round.