FTPS is a file transport layer on top of SSL or TLS.  There are number
of options available with it and this can cause problems: SSL v2 or v3
or TLS, implicit connection, passive transfers, etc.  In my experience
it can be quite tricky to get the options all working correctly on both
the server and client if you have a firewall or two in the middle, I
spent quite some time this past summer trying to get a series of servers
working and ultimately gave up.  One of the problems that I see with
FTPS is that there are several fall-back options usually available
(sometimes required) which drop communications back to an unsecured
channel, which defeats the purpose.

SFTP is a file transport layer on top of SSH, a protocol for creating
secure shell logins.  It is IMHO the most secure way of doing transfers
and is easiest to use from a network management point of view because it
all runs on one port (#22) and there are no "drop back to unsecured
transfers" capabilities.

Whether my experiences with FTPS were actual problems or just my lack of
knowledge I can't say, I just got frustrated after trying several
server-client combinations and gave up in favor of SSH which was pretty
much install-and-go.

FYI there are both free SSH servers (OpenSSH on UNIX/Linux/BSD/MacOSX
and FreeSSHd on Windows) and clients (oodles on UNIX, CoreFTP on
Windows) available.

--
Damien McKenna - Web Developer - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
The Limu Company - http://www.thelimucompany.com/ - 407-804-1014