Write a global 404 handler that will try to read a 'local' handler page from
each site in question. If the local exists, use it. If not, use a global
default.

The 404 template has access to the CGI, Url and Form variable scopes so you can
get the domain and page requested and can even deal with 404 errors based on
url and form vars. I have some custom code in my 404 that deals with a space
before the filename being requested. Don't know why it comes up, but it does so
I deal.