Sandy,

You and I read the 508 differently with respect to whether it requires a
page to function without javascript. I defer to the government's own
document interpreting the requirement and giving examples of problem
situations and workarounds:

http://www.access-board.gov/sec508/guide/1194.22.htm#(l)

It doesn't say that the page must work with javascript disabled, instead it
talks about how javascript is beneficial to many government sites but that
some ways in which it is implemented that can cause problems.

As I'm sure you know, 508 was specifically created because the WAI rules
were too convoluted and restrictive. On the up side, 508 doesn't
specifically require the page to function without javascript. On the flip
side though, because it's not a clear cut yes/no to javascript it's hard to
agree on what is and isn't compliant because it requires so much subjective
interpretation.

For the point of this discussion though I agree with you that it does seem
that using AJAX in .gov/.edu can be a problem, which is very unfortunate.

---
Kevin Graeme
Cooperative Extension Technology Services
University of Wisconsin-Extension