I know you've looked at form submissions and cffile, so I am
brainstorming alternate methods.

Could you create a frame on your submission page pointing to an ftp
area on your site, and allow them to use the ftp handling built into
most browsers? Then they could drag-and-drop or copy-and-paste the
images into the window and let the os handle the move. Your app could
then catch them and associate them with the proper form submission (by
creating dynamic subfolder to go with each form submission)