> a referral initiative to build their database
> for marketing. it goes like this...

One thing that comes to mind is that I could find a list of e-mail addresses
somewhere and spam people hoping a few will be interested and sign up.  I
would suggest limiting the number of submissions a single person can make
within a certain time period to prevent this.

Also, what is to prevent me from creating a throwaway e-mail address and
referring it, then deleting the address?  I get my voucher, and you get a
bounce when the newsletter or whatever gets sent out.  Perhaps require that
they get two or three other people to sign up before giving out the voucher
to discourage this if it's a concern.

This almost sounds like one of those "get a free iPod" sites that will give
you something if you can con ten of your friends into completing one of
their "offers" except not as annoying.

Personally if one of my friends used this referral form to send whatever it
is to me and it got past my spam filter, I would be updating my filter
rules.  Whether something like this will work depends on who you're
targeting it at.

-Justin Scott