I'm getting to this thread late, but I will give my opinion.

I started with Homesite 2.5a many years ago.  I grew up with it through
the two acquisitions.  I use CFStudio, then HS+.  I used HS+ for the
last several years.  I tried DW/UltraDev, then DW2004.  I didn't really
care for those products.

I tried Eclipse, but it seemed a bit overkill for my development. (I
won't start a flame war, but to me, it didn't seem to be a very-polished
product at the time.  Nothing anyone has said on this list has changed
my mind yet.  I may look at it a bit later.)

I loved HS+ with my years of snippets, shortcuts, macros and custom
stuff.  However, there were some code editing features that just didn't
work the way I would have liked.  I just lived with them since I still
had the majority of my time-savers in HS+.

Now that DW8 is out, I have decided to give it my best shot.  Our new
web developer chose to use a Mac for his development.  Since we have two
licenses of Macromedia Studio 8, we wanted to standardize on most of our
tools.  He still uses Photoshop for images and I may use TopStyle for my
CSS, but the majority of what we share is done with DW8.

Another incentive for us to try DW8 is that we are really pushing our
departmental web admins to use Contribute for their web sites.  DW and
Contribute work quite well together.  We are impressed with the concept
of these two tools.

We never really used version control since there was not much of a need
until recently.  We also decided to use DW8's check-in/-out feature to
make our edits a safer.  I am well aware of what version control has to
offer.  I have several years experience with a multi-million-dollar
Solid Modeling CAD system that required check-in/-out for every
interaction with the system.  It also had excellent version control.  I
do know that for our web site, we need nothing more than just to know
that someone else isn't working on the same file as what I need.  We
ensure our files are backed-up with other processes that work fine for
us.

Now, back to DW8...

I love the tag closing shortcut of only needing to type "</" then the
correct tag is closed.  HS+ would close the tag when you typed the first
">" character.  I didn't like that all the time.  DW gives me more
control of when to close a tag.

DW8 seems to be quite quick for us.  The remote site list refreshes in
less than a second even on our largest site.

I don't use DW8's live data feature.  Many times, the page you are
editing cannot operate by itself.  For example, the page may require
that a form post to it before it can operate.  The best way to test
this, is to open the application in a browser.  That is fine with me.

I have not yet re-created my HS snippets in DW8.  I know that I can't
easily create the same sort of snippets as I could in HS.  DW8 requires
some extra steps that HS+'s snippet variables made easy-to-use.

As I said earlier, I'm just trying DW8 while doing my everyday work.  I
have not yet found a reason to switch back to HS+.

I think the most-annoying behavior is when the DW8 panels disappear when
DW loses focus.  I'm sure some people love that feature.  Personally, it
is very distracting.

Good luck on your editor search!

M!ke