It depends what your WHERE clause says, but it's probably an inner
join...

SELECT *
FROM a INNER JOIN b
ON a.x = b.y

or

SELECT *
FROM a, b
WHERE   a.x = b.y

In this case above, I'd recommend INNER JOIN as it makes what you're
trying to do more explicit for debugging and maintenance purposes.

Sometimes you want to select rows where there are missing entries in one
table (in this case b) ...

SELECT *
FROM a LEFT JOIN b
ON a.x = b.y

That would be harder to write using a WHERE clause.

It's worth noting btw that CF query-of-queries doesn't support JOIN
syntax -- you need to use the WHERE clause.