(This may be OT, as I'm not sure what the list's policy is on this kind of
thing, but I'm just tryin' to help, so I'll give it a shot.)

In light of the vast number of questions we get on the list about the
brokenness of the regular expression engine in CF, I've created a CFX tag
that uses the PCRE (Perl Compatible Regular Expression) engine[1] to do
regex Find()s.  I don't have the Replace() functionality coded yet, as I
want to get some feedback on the utility of such a beast.  (Specifically,
whether or not a Replace() functionality would be worth the effort.)  No
more shelling out to Perl to do your regex work.  Cool, huh?

I've done some limited testing already myself and gotten it to a point where
it seems to work (and is frelling fast, as near as I can tell), but I'd like
to make it available to the developer community for alpha testing.  If you'd
like to test it, just drop me a quick email (off-list, please!) and I'll
send you the ZIP file.

There is but one catch: there is, of course, absolutely no documentation.
But, I'll include a sample file to get anyone started.

Thanks,
-Rick

(P.S. - For my next trick, I'm thinking of just going whole-hog and
embedding a Perl interpreter into a CFX tag.  Just for grins.  Can you say
Perl and CF living side-by-side in real time?  Coolio.)

[1] If you don't know what the PCRE is, just think of it like this: The
whole point of the PCRE is to completely emulate/mirror Perl's regex engine.
In other words, anything you can do in Perl, you can do in the PCRE.  For
more info see:
ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programming/pcre/

---
To eliminate some questions that I know will be asked ...

Q: Why don't [I] just make a web page and make it available for download?
A; It is *very* alpha quality.  It is stable, but has not undergone
satisfactory testing.  I don't want people emailing me a year from now
because they found a copy of it archived somewhere and can't get it to work.
That, and I want to be able to harass the alpha testers and make them send
me feedback.

Q: When will it be done?
A: As soon as a few alpha testers decide that it is worthy of public
consumption.  The source will be released with the binary ASAP.  At a
minimum, I'll make it available on my site and the Allaire Tag Gallery (or
DevEx or whatever they are calling it now).  (Probably a few of the other
galleries, as well.)

Q: Will [I] sell [your] email address to evil people?