Ok, in the comments section of livedocs here:

http://livedocs.macromedia.com/coldfusion/7/htmldocs/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/h
tml/wwhelp.htm?context=ColdFusion_Documentation&file=00000217.htm

--------------------------
yoinky said on Sep 28, 2005 at 2:03 AM :
HUGE Pain-In-The-Ass Solution:

DO NOT USE HYPHEN CHARACTERS IN THE NAME="" ATTRIBUTE!

Just incase you are pulling your hair out wondering why your client
management isn't working (like I've been doing for the past week) and have
gone through everything and can't get it working on a database or in the
registry, head this very simple "rule" left out of the documentation.

if you do use a hyphen, at the end of the request when the client scope is
supposed to be automatically persisted by the runtime, it will display a
"500 NULL" error in html at the bottom of the page, it won't even throw a
real exception or log the error, so you have no idea it happened.