Tim Blair wrote:
> To make sure that all browsers can see Flash you have to use
> non-standard HTML.  Either that or if you really really want your HTML
> to validate, you can use messy JavaScript to inject the HTML.

If you're referring to the EMBED tag, it's actually the standard that's
non-standard here. When the W3C rewrote this section in HTML 4.0 they
didn't provide any guidance for how the existing world (which had been
using EMBED, and then accommodating Microsoft's OBJECT) might migrate to
the new world order of happily-validating documents.

If anything, the recommendation against the existing EMBED in HTML 4.0
should be an argument against a committee-centric approach, not against
browser extensions.

It's a galling argument, "Don't use Flash because the markup won't
validate." The Macromedia Flash Player doesn't care how it's invoked...
the OBJECT and EMBED tags are parsed by the browser, not the Player, and
those are the terms they used before the committee ever sat down.

It's particularly galling for me because in the late 90s I was active on
the mailing lists and kept asking all the web-standards evangelists
"Hey, what will you do about the browsers that currently and happily use
EMBED? seize them? repossess them? what?" and in retrospect I should
have been even more of a curmudgeon on this because they punted on the
issue, and seven years later it's getting reworked around into this
strange formulation.

jd

--
John Dowdell . Macromedia Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://www.macromedia.com/go/blog_jd