ok, I appreciate that you *can* solve the problem if a user isn't there, but
here's an example of my typical experience with VSS:

Bob, Fred and Joe are all working on the same project and sit within 6 feet
of each other.

Day starts
Bob checks out files a, b, c, d, and e.
Fred checks out files f,g and h.
Joe checks out fils i, j, k, and l

10.00 am Joe gets called off to a meeting
10.15 am Bob realizes he needs to check out file j. Finds it's locked, so
goes off to look for an administrator.
10.20 am Fred realizes he needs to add something to file e. Finds it's
locked, so goes off to look for Bob.
10.30 am Bob returns having found that the administrator has been called off
to do some work for a client. Starts creating a workaround for the things he
needs in file j.
10.35 am Fred returns and gets Bob to release file e.
11.00 am Fred leaves to go to a client site forgetting to check in his work.
11.15 am Joe returns and gets a bunch of abuse from Bob. Joe releases his
files so Bob can get the update.
11.30 am Joe realizes he needs to use file g. Finds out that it's locked and
Fred isn't there. Finds out Admin isn't around, can't get Freds on his
mobile. Starts to create a workaround for the stuff in file g.
11.45 am Bob realizes he needs something in file g. Talks to Joe. They work
together to create a new version of g which they call file m. They refactor
their code so that it no longer requires file g.
12.00 pm Bob goes off to lunch.
12.15 pm Joe realizes he needs to work on file d. Sees that Bob is at lunch
and decides to go to lunch himself.
1.00 pm Bob returns from lunch and gets called off to a meeting.
1.30 pm Joe returns from lunch and finds that he still can't get to file d.

I spent quite a while working in a place where that sort of thing was all
too typical.

It's certainly possible to discipline yourself so that these problems don't
occur, but real life and commercial pressures often get in the way of rigid
discipline.

The CVS/SVN way of doing things eliminates that sort of problem.

Spike