Where the variables were set has nothing to do with it. (the vars you are
seeing in search results weren't actually set via <cfset> anyway) They show
up there because they are passed via url by someone who:

A) got a little lazy
B) goofed (we all goof)
C) didn’t know any better

That being said, most people tend to use the Application.cfm for specific
application settings. (setting session variables for a shopping cart that is
probably PART of the overall application is not one of those specific
application settings). It is used sparingly it most cases due to one simple
reason... everything in the Application.cfm is ran on every page that
inherits it.

Personally, I don't think I have any applications out there that have more
than 2 application.cfm templates. One in the main root where <cfapplication>
settings are handled and <cferror> template is set. (that’s all)

The other would be in the top level of the backend to cfinclude the primary
application.cfm and a login checker 'thing-a-majigger' to secure the section
behind a login form/process.

If you put something like session var cfsets in the main Application.cfm,
they will be there on EVERY page of your application that doesn't have it's
own Application.cfm. If your app is only a shopping cart then maybe that’s a
feasible place for you to put it, else I'd find somewhere else.

As for passing the cfids and tokens through url variables, I usually avoid
that at all costs. I've never seen (first hand) any reason what-so-ever to
do it.

Bobby Hartsfield
http://acoderslife.com