> Most of my clients do a poor job of utilizing the capabilities I build
into their
> websites now...

Personally, I use hidden iframes techniques sparingly because I'm lazy.
One good use is where you want to make a tiny change to a big page. For
example, on this site of mine (www.tramper.co.nz) you can "bookmark"
pages if you are logged in. Instead of reloading the entire page --
which would be slow, confusing, and harder on the server -- a hidden
iframe is used to update the bookmark and display bookmark added /
removed messages. The JS is exceedingly simple as both messages are
already part of the page and the script merely swaps which one is
visible.

The point is that you can potentially add some good functionality with
minimal JS. So while you (like me) may not have time to learn JS inside
out, there may be real benefit to learning just a little, such as
toggling visibility by manipulating styles, and perhaps displaying
messages using the innerHTML property.