I have successfully used an ActiveX object called ScriptX (just Google it).
They have a limited freeby and a more robust one for cost.
This was using CF5 for an internal Work Order app where getting a quality
printed Work Order was a pain in the butt. In this case it really needed to be
printed in Landscape, which, of course, is never the default for any user.

In my case, the page will print upon loading in a hidden iframe and I control
Orientation, Margins, Header, and Footer.

It has worked great, but I'm in an environment where IE is the standard.

Now that I have CF 7, I will use cfdocument and spit out pdf's instead.

Terry