One technique to use for complex joins is to build the joins in
views. (I rarely use a join in a cfquery)  By  using views, the
execution plan for the join is stored with the view and does not have
to calculated with the dynamic SQL in a cfquery. By using views for
joins, it allows focusing on the results of the joins before adding
other conditions.

For example:

CREATE VIEW dbo.vShowDetail
AS
SELECT     P.FNname, P.LName, C.CreditType, S.Title, S.Network,
S.[Desc], SM.SubjectType, S.Logline
FROM         dbo.tCredits C INNER JOIN
                       dbo.tPlayers P ON C.PlayerID = P.PlayerID INNER JOIN
                       dbo.tShows S ON C.ShowID = S.ShowID INNER JOIN
                       dbo.tSubjectMatter SM ON S.ShowID = SM.ShowID
ORDER BY P.LName

  Then  the cfquery is simpler

SELECT     TOP 100 PERCENT FNname, LName, CreditType, Title, Network, Logline
FROM         dbo.vShowDetail
WHERE     (Network = 'A') AND (Title = 'B') AND (CreditType = 'C')