Multiple checkout. Different systems deal with it different ways. VSS sipmly
allows multiple checkout, which means that if I have a file checked out you can
come along and check it out as well, and any conflicts have to be resolved
before check-in.

I'm at a new job where we use Perforce, and it deals with this concept in a
more robust way. It supports the notion of branching, so for each project, you
build a new branch, then you re-integrate your changes from the project branch
back into the main branch when you finish your work. You can have multiple
concurrent branches from the mainline, but you still have to resolve any
conflicts that come up during re-integration (check-in, in VSS speak).