Here are my thoughts:
1.  OO
2.  Design to be extended without taking out of upgrade path(pre & post
processing steps)
3.  Provide DLL's
4.  XML in and out with appropriate XSD's
5.  Sample HTML and/or XSLT with CSS that can be used as a base

Starting with someone elses data model is like starting coding without
requirements.  If we want to do this right, we need to start at the
beginning.   If we all chip in with the IC that we have this shouldn't take
too much time to get through the documentation phase.  At each stage, we
create a forum for the individual parts, each of use signs up for those that
they can contribute to, someone takes lead for each...We finish then move to
the next step of the design.  Continue until done, then move to Detailed
Design.  While Use Cases are being created, the Archeticts can start
creating the framework within which detailed design and coding will operate
within.

Bottom line, this needs to be run like a large scale development project.

Andy