Height 100% is nearly impossible to reach in css along. However many
workarounds to browser issues have been created. One of the simplist and my
personal favorite is faux columns.

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/fauxcolumns/

With this you set a repeating backgound in the parent of your three columns.
it is always as long as the longest child and there for shows up correctly.

I love css and have yet to find anything that I couldnt do in an amazingly
short time in css. checkout csszengarden.com <http://csszengarden.com> and
look for examples that are similar to your layout. its an amazing
learn-by-example tool.

Good luck and hit me up if you need specifc help with css.

simeon