Well im looking for an actual tab character.

See im working on a tool im wanting to release to the community, its a
query browser that lets you test out queries in a page.  I developed
it for a company I am consulting for and they have found it pretty
useful.  It basically just has textarea, and most of the time people
seem to be copying their sql code into it which will retain their
tabs, but there is no way to insert a tab in while writing directly
into it.  Its just a much asked for feature that I dont think is
possible, but just wanted to check.  But I dont want it to insert code
of course behind the scenes, I need it to be an actual tab.