<snipped a bit>
The visual wizard is pretty nice if you don't try to get TOO complex.
One can drag the tables then drag the fields for the join then drag them
for the select in the "Design View".  Once you have it all dialed in and
returning the data you expect, then just switch to the "SQL View" and
see what it looks like.  This helped me a lot when I was trying to
figure out LEFT and RIGHT OUTER JOINS with nulls to get all the fields
from one table with no matches in another.
</snipped a bit>

Thanks Ian,
that was pretty simple (in hindsight).  I actually ended up with
something like :

SELECT district_plan_section_headings.DP_catID,
district_plan_documents.DP_catID, district_plan_documents.Line_Order,
district_plan_documents.Label_Text,
district_plan_documents.Document_Name
FROM district_plan_documents INNER JOIN district_plan_section_headings
ON district_plan_documents.DP_catID =
district_plan_section_headings.DP_catID;

It doesn't use aliases as you did (which I understand to some degree
anyway) and I simply copied across all the fields with the double
arrows, but apart from that this looks very useful indeed. I'm sure it
will save me some coldfusion headaches that are MUCH easier to do in the
query. Once again ty for the insight, and I'm off to play with this some
more.

Mark