On 11/15/05, Bryan Stevenson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So I'm really clear on this Sean...are you saying I could build Flex apps
> for "under $1000"?  or can they be built and deployed for that?

I gather you haven't been following all of the announcements around
the Flex 2 product line?

Today, you get Flex Builder 1.5 'free' with Flex Server and you write
MXML / AS2 applications and deploy them to the Flex Server which
compiles them on demand and servers up SWFs.

With the Flex 2 product line, you buy Flex Builder 2 (for "under
$1,000") and you write MXML / AS3 applications and compile them to SWF
which you can then deploy on any web server.

The generated SWF can use web services and the new - free - CF Adapter
(essentially an updated Flash Remoting adapter for CFMX 7 that
supports Flex 2 SWFs).

If you want advanced data services (online / offline data sync, push
data, peer-to-peer messaging etc), you will need the Flex 2 Enterprise
Services server component.

In other words, today's Flex 1.5 Server will "grow up" into Flex 2
Enterprise Services (server) but you will additionally be able to
build easy-to-deploy SWF files using Flex Builder 2 and the new Flex 2
Framework (MXML / AS3).

Hope that helps?

For more information, visit http://labs.macromedia.com/ where you can
download all the alpha releases for free.
--
Sean A Corfield -- http://corfield.org/
Got frameworks?

-- Margaret Atwood