> I don't know how the major databases handle remote connections,
> but most secure systems won't allow more than a handful of login
> attempts at a time. If you fail too many times your account gets
> locked until someone unlocks it, or for a prohibitive amount of
> time. This effectively halts brute force attacks on un/pw interfaces.
> Yes they could still work in some systems, as long as you are able
> to keep trying for a few months.

Most database login mechanisms, by themselves, do not constitute "secure
systems". Most common database platforms do not lock accounts or timeout
access. Most common database platforms also have some known, common logins.
To the extent that MS SQL Server is configured to allow only Windows
authentication, it will be protected by the same mechanisms as any other
Windows OS login, but that's the exception (especially for CF users).

Oracle:
http://www.red-database-security.com/whitepaper/oracle_passwords.html
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid14_gci11380
68,00.html

SQL Server:
http://www.securiteam.com/tools/5FP0F20FPK.html
http://www.sqlsecurity.com/

MySQL:
http://www.philippinehoneynet.org/dataarchive.php?date=2005-09-22

I'm sure you can find many more examples by simply typing "brute force [your
DB platform] login" into Google.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/