Hi Simon,
I am currently working on a similar project...
ick question

>What is the information in CGI.HTTP_USER_AGENT?

>For Netscape I get:

>Mozilla/4.08 [en] (Win98; U ;Nav)

>and for IE I get:

>Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows 98)

These values are provided by the browser and as such are provided in any
format that Netscape or IE chooses.  I don't see much option but to capture
the results from a variety of browsers and then write code to compensate for
each type.
Mozilla is an organization that produced one of the first open-source
browsers and such has been cloned to a greater or lesser degree by these
browsers.
You can access www.mozilla.org for more info.
Mozilla sounds like a cross between a Japanese monster and a stooge.
Regards,
Anthony Geoghegan.
Lead Developer,
IFTN