From: Dave Watts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, November 18, 2005 1:46 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Multiple sites in IIS - Modifying DNS

> You CAN alias records within the same zone, but it's
> generally not a good idea because of the extra DNS
> lookups required to resolve them. Just because you
> can do a think, does not mean you should.

Again, though, this is what CNAME records are for. The extra DNS lookups do
not cause a significant amount of traffic, in my experience, even with DNS
servers that support high-volume sites. I suspect this may have been more of
an issue in the past than it is now, or maybe for DNS servers that support
even higher numbers of queries it is still true. However, using multiple A
records for a single IP address can introduce other problems, and I prefer
the set of problems you may get by using CNAME records to the set of
problems that you may get by using A records for aliasing.

For example, if you're using the Microsoft DNS server - which, being
integral to AD and Windows Networking, many people are - you can easily
screw up your PTR records, as each time you add an A record it will, by
default, rewrite the PTR record to point to the new host name.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/