It seems as if that's one area where they may be a benefit (try it and
see) - another may be if you had a large, complex query with many
joins that took a long time to execute - once that dataset is in
memory it may be quicker to extract smaller subsets via QoQ. Of course
it may not; if you use bind parameters on the initial query, the
execution plan is cached by the DB system and the indexing is good
(e.g. gathered stats are up-to-date, if using Oracle), the initial
query may still perform really well on subsequent tries.

--
CFAJAX docs and other useful articles:
http://jr-holmes.coldfusionjournal.com/