<< I'm a huge fan of the "build well, optimize later" approach to
programming.  Build your app as well as you can, using the simplest
means reasonable, and be confident that the app is more than good
enough until it's objectively demonstrated not to be.   >>

Yep, that's the approach I take too.  I'm constantly looking to improve
application response once something new is up and running.  One of the best
ways of determining how something will act in a real environment is to let it
run in that real environment and see how it does act, and then optimize from
there.

I suppose that's why query caching has always bothered me as far as
optimization is concerned, because it really is a great bit of functionality
but is largely unobservable in realtime testing.

So many other aspects of the process are measurable, such as using cfstat,
observing mysql query times, timing iterative processes, etc.  Query caching is
one of CF's few enigmas, particularly when it comes to its relatively
unpredictable and unobservable use of memory.   If you are using your own
caching mechanisms or storing lots of data in application/session scopes in
addition to query caching, you might as well throw a dart at a board to
determine how much memory your CF cached queries are really using.

Terry