I would think because sometimes you would need to pass in not only the field
names to select but also some criteria as to how it is grabbed.  Such as
something that needs to go into the FROM or WHERE portions of the query. For
the example Russ gave you would need to pass in the name of the
column(center) and also its value neither of which is a lot to pass in but
if you had more than one column it(call to the function) could start to get
big.  Hope that makes sense, it is way past my bedtime right now :)