Duncan wrote:
> what version of cf? MX6 or 5

oh boy. cf5's a tougher nut to crack when it comes to encoding, it
basically ignores it.

> what encoding? the mail header says UTF-8

yes but what encoding are you actually using? cf5 & mx handle this quite
differently.

> is the hotmail a localized version for the norwegian market? UK / AUS

what is that version's default encoding? utf-8 or iso-8859-1 or
windows-1252? norwegian's got a few ISO encodings: iso-8859-1,
iso-8859-4 & iso-8859-13.

> mojibake? Yup, for a couple of Norwegian characters

i collect this sort of thing, can you send one of these broken emails to
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] i just double checked, hotmail from cf7
w/thai & arabic utf-8 encoding works fine.

> rendering by manually swapping the browser encoding)?  the major issue
> here is not hotmail, its with Lotus Notes - I dont believe you can do
> this in Lotus Notes.

sorry you didn't list that in the original email. need to dig up stuff
for that.

> since this looks like html mail, are you also including encoding hints
> in the meta header? can you give me an example pls?

cf ignores this but other s/w, especially brain dead stuff, will often
need this kind of hinting to figure out what the charset is, it's also a
good idea to tag stuff so at least you can see what the intended charset
was when things go wrong.