John Paul Ashenfelter wrote:

>On 12/21/05, Claude Schneegans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>One the the biggest advantages of CF over PHP is that the interface to
>>any database
>>does not depent on the type of database. There are no calls to
>>functionalities proper to the type of database.
>>

>While I have certainly found the db-specific libraries annoying in PHP
>site rewrites/db migrations (there are TWO mysql libraries foe
>example), one enormous benefit of db-specific libraries is that they
>can be specifically optimized for the database, which generally
>improves speed. DB abstraction layers can obscure vendor-specific
>functionality in some cases and in other can result in calls that the
>abstraction layer must support to meet spec that don't exist in the
>underlying database.
>
>And as an aside, PHP 5 introduced PDO (PHP Data Objects) which is a
>database abstraction layer modelled on the equivalent JDO (Java Data
>Objects) model.
>
>--
>John Paul Ashenfelter
>CTO/Transitionpoint
>(blog) http://www.ashenfelter.com
>(email) [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I develop in both PHP and Cold Fusion, and I must say I *much* prefer
CF's way of connecting to database's over that of PHP's - even if it
does add another nanosecond or two when connecting to my database. The
ease of coding and portingt is worth it and makes it cost effective.

Other things I prefer about CF over PHP.

- The default functionality of the Application,cfm file and OnRequestEnd
file. This functionality can be duplicated using a .htaccess file, but
it's not incorporated into PHP by default.

- There is no PHP equivalent to <CFDUMP> in PHP. In order to view your
variables you must create loops and loop over everything. Since I use
CFDUMP quite often while developing in CF, I have found that I very much
misss that functionality when developing in PHP. Not to mention that
writing loops instead of a one-line CFDUMP is a bit more time-consuming.

- Building queries is a whole lot simpler in CF then it is in PHP. CF
Wraps up queries is a nice, neat package, while PHP contains a lot of
functionality, it can get quite complicated and takes some getting used
to if you're used to developing in CF.

HTH!

--
Warm regards,