From: Al Musella, DPM [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2000 3:34 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: TO ALL: Request for ColdFusion SP2 Input - locking

  It is probably too big a change for just a service pack - but maybe keep
it in mind for the next point release:

I would like to request an option to automatically lock variables.  I read
the "best practices" paper on the allaire site that explains why you don't
have it - but you have to understand our point of view.  I (and I am sure
everyone else on this list) have thousands of templates that I started
writing with Cold Fusion 2.0, that work perfectly.  There isn't time to
look at every template that I ever wrote, and add the locking code for it,
so it is just sitting on the server, probably causing the server to become
unstable.
   I would gladly give up a little performance to have automatic locking,
to gain stability.
   I would set it up so that you can turn it on | off in the cfapplication
tag on a project by project basis, so for apps where it is important for
consistency issues or perfomance issues, I can do it manually, or if the
app is on a shared server - we can be sure to have the right setting, not
having to rely on the isp to decide which setting is best. I would have it
default to automatic locking unless explicited selected not to have it.

thanks
Al Musella, DPM
Musella Foundation

>i know one of the items that makes me very uncomfortable is the apparent
>code incompatibility on the locking issues. i.e. code written for CF server
>4.5.1 locking doesn't easily work on 4.0 and vice versa..

the body.