Wow...I think Matt and I are on the same page...well said Matt!! ;-)

The next step, which I haven't done yet, is to bring in a CF
> coder.  the trouble with expanding your staff is your clients want
> *you* to do the work if the relationship is right, and you're stepping
> away from them.  Another challenge.

Matt we're in that boat right now.  In tha past we've brought in subs as
needed,
but we have just hired 3 coders.  What we have done to help mitigate client
fears (because they all want me...same as you've found) is to say to
them...."You get our staff at the prescribed rate, but you also get me (and one
of my partners in this case) to manage the project and ensure quality is kept
up
to expected standards."

This way they essentially get 5 bodies for the price of 3....shows how the
project can be "saved" in the event of a tight timeline etc.  Of course this
will only work up to a max number of projects and then the "free" bodies get
stretched too thin.

Hopefully it will help ya in the transition ;-)

Cheers

Bryan Stevenson B.Comm.
VP & Director of E-Commerce Development
Electric Edge Systems Group Inc.