Hello all - I've googled the heck out of this topic, and there are more
opinions than I can count!  Is there any definitive info on whether it is
more efficient to put a CFTRY around an entire page's contents, with a
CFCATCH at the end to trap errors, or to simply have a CFERROR page
specified in application.cfm (and only use CFTRY/CFCATCH in specific pieces
of code that might need special error handling procedures)?  In other words,
what is the performance cost for code that is executing within a CFTRY
block?

I'm interested in this because the CF server that I've just recently started
working with seems to be having periodic performance problems (still trying
to determine what "periodic" actually means), and noticed that a lot of the
application's pages have a single CFTRY around them.

I've also noticed excessive use of CFOUTPUT tags.  Is it worth consolidating
these to help performance?  I've seen as many as 5 in a block of code that's
only 30 lines long, where only 1 was needed.

What about excessive # marks?  It makes me crazy to see code like
        <cfif #somevariable# eq "yes"> ...
But does that also make CF crazy?  I'd think that this goofiness would not
actually filter down to the Jrun code that actually executes, right?

Any good MX7 performance/tuning papers running around?  I checked on the
macromedia website, and with google, but only found info on older versions.

TIA for any hints!
Reed